Perfect sausage rolls
Sausages rolls always go down well in my house. When we have visitors round I always make sure I have a fresh batch cooked ready for us to snack on. The children love them, and the adults love them even more, they are so easy to make that they literally take no time at all to make.
What I love about this recipe that I use is the versatility and thousands of adaptations you can make to make something individual and amazing. This is such an easy recipe that I even let my little girl help me make them as she loves to help me in the kitchen, she has now got to the point where she needs very little supervision to be able to put the sausage rolls together, and she absolutely loves it!
1 pack of ready to roll puff pastry (or make your own)
1lb Sausage meat – I got mine from the local butchers which he infused with herbs and spices to make the sausage rolls extra tasty.
1x egg beaten – for glazing the sausage rolls
- Grated Cheese
- Grated Apple
- Sage (fresh or dried)
- Sesame Seeds (for topping)
- Chilli Paste
You can literally add anything you like with your sausage meat to make something truly special. Theses are just a few examples of things we have tested in our kitchen. (not all ingredients at once). So experiment and have fun with it, even make a little competition with your children on who can come up with the best fillings for a Sausage Roll. I love to make cooking fun and involving my daughter and her friends in the baking and cooking which happens in my house.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Line baking tin with greaseproof paper
- roll out the puff pastry
- Place small amount of sausage meat (and any other ingredients desired), along the long edge of the pastry.
- gently roll the pastry and meat mixture to create the classic sausage roll shape.
- Cut remaining pastry to reuse later
- Slice the long sausage roll into desired lengths, I got 6 sausage rolls out of this first piece.
- Place onto baking tray
- repeat with left over pastry
- Slice the top of each sausage roll, to allow steam to escape (see picture for example)
- Brush each roll with egg (called egg wash) and place into oven
It usually takes about 20-30 mins to cook thoroughly.
These Sausage Rolls are best eaten when still warm, there is nothing quite like the taste of them warm compared to cold. They should last a couple of days in the fridge (although they don’t last 5 minutes in my house).
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do (and my best friend), let me know how you get on if you do try it out!
Much Love xx