Ham Hock Mac and Cheese
Cheese and pasta, what’s not to like?!
I love a macaroni cheese, it is such a versatile meal. You can have it as a starter, a side dish or a main meal. And my gosh it is great!
I love to mix up the recipe a little adding different ingredients and making it something special each time.
For this recipe I added ham (forgot tomatoes) and a small teaspoon of yellow mustard. It tasted amazing and belles absolutely loved it. Paired with a side salad and some garlic bread this dish becomes a full on meal.
- 375g macaroni pasta
- 125g butter
- 100g plain flour
- 1ltr milk
- 2tbsp dijon mustard
- 300g gruyere grated
- 150g extra mature cheddar grated
- 500g ham hock shredded
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
How I made it
- Cook pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water until just tender. drain and toss in olive oil.
- Melt the butter in a large pan, stir in flour and cook out for a few mins. heat the milk separately, then whisk into the flour and butter over a low heat until thickened. stir in the mustard and all the cheese keeping back about 5tbsp
- Heat the oven to 190c/ gas 5. mix sause into pasta add ham. Put into large dish and top with breadcrumbs and remaining cheese.
- Bake in oven for 20mins or until golden.
There you have it! My wonderful take on a macaroni cheese. Look out for more of my macaroni recipes as I explore this dish with more flavours!