Trick or Treat!
Halloween is just around the corner, and already the discussion with most parents is “trick or treating”.
With Covid-19 still being incredibly prominent in the world at the moment, the general consensus with most parents is that the Trick or Treat tradition is cancelled this year. I have never really liked Halloween. I guess that I just don’t really get why we “celebrate” this day, its the end of October and the end of most harvests leading us into winter. But why do we have one night celebrating all the things that scare a child; witches, zombies, vampires, ghosts etc.
I get that it is an American tradition, but why do we have to celebrate it in the UK. We don’t celebrate other American days such as Independence Day or Thanks Giving.
So what I am starting off to say is that I have never really “got” Halloween, and therefore I have never really “celebrated” it.
Why I am Against Trick or Treating
My little girl will NEVER go trick or treating. I do not believe that I am being cruel, but I believe that the simple act of going door step to door step begging for sweets goes against many of my beliefs.
- We should NEVER take sweets off a stranger!
- For some reason on Halloween it is acceptable to take sweets off a stranger despite the fact that we teach our children that we shouldn’t ever take sweets off a stranger. I feel this is a little hypocritical.
- Knocking on everyone’s doors
- The elderly especially really hate this season as they have so many people knocking on their doors. They worry about who could be at their door, and whether they are genuine trick or treaters or scum bags attempting to rob them blind.
- Children essentially BEG for sweets
- Are we teaching our children that it’s ok to beg others for food? I don’t like this concept. Also has no one read the story of Hansel and Gretel?! Does no-one remember that it is sweets that are used to lure the children in?
- Celebrating the things that SCARE our children
- This one baffles me the most. Why are we expected to celebrate the things that scare our children most? Why do we encourage them to dress up as the things that make them scream (and not in a good way).
- Kids think its fun to EGG Houses
- This one I do not get at all and it infuriates me. The fact that parents ALLOW their kids to do this and ruin peoples houses and cars is absolutely ridiculous. It makes me wonder if there are any good parents out there at all. The kids that egg houses and cars should be locked up to teach them a lesson.
As I said I DO NOT GET HALLOWEEN! Children should not be expected to celebrate it, and under no circumstance should they be expected to BEG for SWEETS from STRANGERS.
Halloween goes against anything that we as parents teach our children, and yet for some reason it seems to be ok. I’m not ok with this, and on the evening of Halloween you will find me sat in my living room watching the first CHRISTMAS film of the year in the dark. As my preparations for CHRISTMAS start from the beginning of November, for my favourite time of year.