Tuna Pasta Bake
This is a dish that can be used as a packed lunch. I used to have Tuna Pasta Bake for lunch hundreds of times at school. It’s a sure fire way to make sure that little ones are getting a healthy meal, and is perfect for those busy days when school is over. On an evening when you have football, dance, piano, karate, anything that your children might do, giving them a meal at lunch means that they can have a lighter option for their dinner.
Nobody likes to have a hungry child.
As stated above, this is a recipe which I used when I was a child. My mum used to make it, and then she taught me.
That’s what cooking is about though, right? Finding a recipe which everyone likes and passing your version of it down generation after generation. You add in “secret ingredients” or you mix everything in a particular way to get the taste/texture etc, you desire.
Cooking is all about experimenting and that is what I do with my food everyday. I make sure to teach my little one (who’s only 3) the basics of cooking every time I make something, and as she gets older she will do more. Cooking is a fundamental skill which we all need in order to survive. It brings us joy, flavour, colour, and taste. It makes our lives brighter and better. More importantly, it keeps us alive.
So here is my recipe for a wonderful Tuna Pasta Bake.
- Pasta (usually a cup of pasta per mouth, plus one for luck)
- 2 tins of tuna
- 1 small tin of sweetcorn
- 1 knob of butter
- 100ml milk (or more if needed)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- Cheese to serve
- 1 packet of plain crisps crushed (optional)
you can also add peppers or mushrooms if you desire which makes a slightly different dish, just as delicious.
- Heat oven to 180c
- Put the pasta on to boil as per packet instructions.
- Melt the butter over a low heat, and add the flour in gradually. Heat through for around 3 mins.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and simmer (but continuously stirring so the milk doesn’t burn) until a thick sauce has developed.
- Add in the tomato puree and heat through until completely mixed in.
- Add in Tuna and Sweetcorn until heated.
- Drain Pasta and mix into the sauce.
- Pour pasta into an oven proof dish. Top with Cheese and crushed crisps, place in oven for around 20 mins, or until golden and bubbling.
- Serve up with a salad.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. This is a super scrummy dish that I think is perfect for lunch, instead of always having sandwiches in different varieties.
Much Love xx