A Fish Pie is full of protein, veg and yummy goodness. This is something that my dad used to make all the time when I was little, and when I asked him where he got the recipe from he told me it was from my nan.
Since having the recipe I have adapted it and moulded it to my tastes and to something that my little one is more likely to eat. I have now got my fish pie to an almost perfect state, but I know it is missing something, and I hope to one day find out what that is and then share it with you.
For the Mash
- 5 med potatoes
- ground black pepper
For the Filling
- Fish pie mix (defrosted)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 3 hard boiled eggs (cut into 4)
- Grated cheese
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 2 cups of frozen peas
- A knob of butter
- Pinch of pepper
As I said at the beginning of this post there is something missing from this ingredients list and I still haven’t worked out what it is. But that’s what cooking is isn’t it? one big experiment with food.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small pieces. Put them on to boil.
- Boil the eggs for 12 mins ~(to get hard boiled)
- Once boiled leave the eggs to cool for 10mins then peel and cut into 4 pieces
- Once the potatoes are soft drain the water and add a knob of butter and splash of milk
- mash the potatoes and add more milk or butter to the consistency you like, set aside for later
- Pour a cup of milk into a pan and bring to boil.
- Add the fish, let simmer for around 5-10 mins.
- remove fish and add flour and parsley to the milk, mix well until smooth and it thickens
- add in the peas, simmer until they are heated through
- add in fish, and eggs
- set into a pie dish (I used a lasagne dish)
- layer the mashed potato on top, run a fork in the potato to make ridges
- top with cheese
- bake in the oven at 200c for 25-30 mins or until golden brown
Serve with veg of your choice.
This is dish very simple to make but does require a bit of your time, however if you have older children they could help you make the sauce or for a better result prepare the filling the night before you wish to make the pie so that the flavours are really infused.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, if you have any ideas on what could be missing please let me know.