Spaghetti Bolognese, yum yum and healthy! There is so much about a spaghetti bolognese that I absolutely love. For one, you can pack it full of healthy vegetables and the kids will never know. They end up getting their five a day and you can rest easy knowing that you made a yummy nutritious meal that they finished in like 5 mins. It’s a win-win situation really.
What is even better with Spag Bol is that it literally only takes about 10 mins to make, it’s super simple and super quick, so when my little one is trying to raid the cupboards for snacks and telling me she is “soooo hungry mummy I need those biscuits” I am able to whip up a quick and healthy meal in just a few minutes.
- Spaghetti (enough for the amount of mouths you’re going to feed)
- Minced meat (or vegetarian alternatives)
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 courgette
- 1 onion (i used red)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pepper (I used a yellow pepper)
- handful of mushrooms (or as many as you like)
- tinned tomatoes
- 1x veg oxo cube
- 1x beef oxo cube
- mixed herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tomato puree
As you can see from this meal alone you are getting at least 3 of your 5 a day (considering how much would be in the portion). And as you will be making the sauce yourself you know that it is low in sugar and much better for you in the long run.
Making the dish
Before we start cooking, boil some water in the kettle (this will be used to cook the pasta), and prepare all the veg. Dice the onion, pepper, courgette and mushrooms and crush the garlic. As stated in the ingredients list the carrot should be grated. Once the ingredients are prepared you are ready to go.
- Put the spaghetti on to boil – you want everything to be ready at the same time.
- put a little oil in a frying pan, when hot add in the onions and garlic.
- once the onions have started to soften add in the pepper.
- as the pepper begins to soften add in the mince and mushrooms
- once the mince is mostly cooked through mix in the chopped tomatoes.
- crush the 2 oxo cubes into the mix and sprinkle some herbs over the sauce.
- once the sauce is boiling add in the courgette and grated carrot.
- make sure to taste the sauce as you go along and add to it where needed to your taste.
- I usually add a couple of teaspoons of tomato puree right towards the end to give an extra tomato flavour kick.
- Once the sauce is to your liking and the pasta is cooked through, drain the pasta and serve.
Remember pasta first then meat mixture, and top with your favourite cheese (parmesan goes best)
As you can see this is a very easy dish (you are literally throwing everything into one pot) and it all comes together in just a few minutes. Have fun with it and try adding in other flavours to make it your own.
I hope you enjoy my recipe, if you want to see more of my simple recipes then please follow me on social media.
I look forward to showing you my next creation