Ah, Spaghetti and pasta in general. I love love love making pasta dishes as they are so quick and easy to make, and you can trick your lovely little ones into eating a whole host of vegetables. Psst, just don’t tell them what’s in there! Or if you do getting them to help prepare dinner somehow makes them more likely to eat the veggies which are put into dinner. I don’t know how but it’s MAGIC!
This dish is one that I whipped up with barely anything left in the house. I was very proud of myself and what’s more, it was a very tasty dinner.
I am one for using up everything we have in the house BEFORE doing a big shop, as I don’t like the idea of getting in new things to cook when you still have a freezer, or fridge or cupboard completely full of food. I personally think it’s wasteful as the reality of you ever using the products that are already there are slim to none, as you end up using the new products and forgetting about the old.
For this dish I had the option of using Spaghetti or Fusilli, and I find both pastas work in different ways. For this dish I wanted a pasta which sticks to the sauce and spaghetti seems to stick best to the sauces I have found. Also my daughter has an obsession with noodles, so if she is being particularly stubborn on not eating her food I will whip up some spaghetti (but call them noodles) and most of the time she will eat.
Ingredients I used
- Spaghetti (enough for 3 people)
- Cheddar cheese
- parmesan cheese
- Handful of tomatoes
- 1 Chicken breast sliced and cooked (left over from the day before)
- 1/2 bag of fresh spinach
- Rocket and salad to serve (Lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, sweetcorn, no dressing)
- (since making this recipe I have also added broccoli)
How I made it
- Boil the pasta
- While the pasta is boiling oven bake the tomatoes for about 10 mins (this is when I also steam the broccoli)
- when the pasta is cooked, take about 2 mugs of water from the pan before draining – you will be using the water in a bit.
- pour all ingredients into a bowl (spaghetti, tomatoes, spinach, broccoli, chicken, 1 cup of cheddar cheese and 1 cup of parmesan, and the pasta water) add any herbs and spices to taste – basil and pepper are what I tend to use.
- Mix until a smooth creamy cheese sauce has been created. (I sometimes add a splash of milk, but find the water and cheese is perfectly good enough)
- serve with a side salad and some rocket and parmesan on top.
and Voila! a super easy yummy treat for the family in under 20 mins
I hope you enjoy this meal and have fun adding in your own ingredients and making the food your own. As all I am doing is giving you ideas of easy and quick meals to do with a busy family, and these are created to me and my families tastes, so of course you can add in your own flavours to make them your own.
Have a wonderful Meal!